Stormtrooper Blaster Help\Advice

Odemia

Re: Stormtrooper Blaster Help\Advice

Post by Odemia » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Cool, that was you. No, I was just driving by, otherwise I would have asked in person if it was you.

I like your blaster. I love the old school/steam punk scifi guns that this reminds me of. Like the guns from blade runner. I sorta want to make the BSG colonial pistol, being based off of the pistol from blade runner I guess that makes sense that I like it aswell.

You've got a lot happening on that board. Now that you know it works I would suggest doing a circuit layout in GEDA, KiCAD or another program and getting someone to mill you a board. You should be able to eliminate a bunch of wires and make it more reliable in the long run.

Can't really see what chips you are using but if you have any PWM channels or you just want to bit bang it you could control the brightness using the duty cycle. Or even give the lights a fade in/heart beat by controlling the duty cycle.

TK3247

Post by TK3247 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:23 am

Yeah that would be great if someone could mill a board for me. The wires are a pain in the butt, I have to jam the board into position.

Having a brightness control for the power level LEDs would be awesome as well. I'll have to check with my friend to see what chip he used, he's the brains behind the project. I just built it lol

I agree, the Bladerunner pistol is sweet, old school, but with a hint of future in it.

OldFatGuy

Post by OldFatGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Wow, nice project. Considering that it's scratchbuilt it looks extremely close to the Sterling submachineguns that I trained on in the army back in the 70's. I believe that is what Lucas's prop folks started with.

I think a few LED's would have improved the Sterling. :-)

TK3247

Post by TK3247 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:23 pm

You are correct. The E-11 Stormtrooper blaster was a Sterling submachinegun with a Hengstler counter box and some rubber t-tracks added onto it.

I've been looking for a deactivated Sterling for some time, but they are hard to find (haven't found on yet) and expensive.