Toasterbot

Anything that doesn't fit in the categories below or spans a few of them
JamesCooper

Toasterbot

Post by JamesCooper » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:17 pm

I am building Toasterbot.

For those of you who don't know what a "toasterbot" is, please allow me to introduce you to this:
Isn't he awesome? He has tank treads, claws, a chainsaw for a tail, and he can make toast while he serves your ass. How much cooler could it get?

Well, after more than a year of saying, "Boy that would be cool," I've decided to go ahead and do it. Here's what I have so far.

First, the body. I got a toaster from Value Village for $8. thesaxmachine gave me a toy bulldozer complete with working tank treads. I decided to build my own base that could house all of the electronics (courtesy of FingerTech Robotics) for driving the beast. The toaster would then mount on top of this base.

Here is the base ready for a test drive and here it is driving across Techworks. In the video I'm having trouble turning one way because the motor shaft is sliding inside the wheel, but I'm going to drill out the hubs and glue in some Lite hubs to get them under control.

The only thing I need now for the base is some screws to go up through the base into the toaster and then it will look like this.

With the base basically sorted out, the next step was a weapon. I had considered building my own chainsaw, but somewhere in the pull between time and money, I decided to buy this one on eBay instead. I then proceeded to gut it and mount it on a shaft and servo so I could move it up and down while driving. It resulted in this monstrosity. Action footage can be seen here.

That's it for now. Soon I will cut out a slot in the rear of the toaster and mount the chainsaw into the base. Then I will start on the final weapon: THE CLAWS. I have several possible designs at my disposal, but whatever I go with, it's going to be awesome.

Expect more on this throughout the summer. This is easily the most fun I've had building something.