Spam control needed on wiki

Any issues with the website
Adam Florizone
Site Admin

Re: Spam control needed on wiki

Post by Adam Florizone » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:01 pm

I have banded tons of bots, I hope the IP block is working, but it seems like it is a bot net so IP blocking is usles. Can you people PM me your user names and I will give you access.

The spam was flooding and crashing the old server (the reason for the emergency server move to a faster server). I'm going to add the block lists and maybe visual verification right now.

Thanks for the help everyone! If anyone else has any more suggestions or ideas, I will help out. :)
If anyone needs any help with any of the sites (wiki, membership, forms, etc...) you can contact me on the support forum or at adam(at)florizone.com .

rsilk

Post by rsilk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Not sure if PMs are working, they just sit in outbox without moving to sent. Let me know if you received it. (username is the same as on here, in any case)

Odemia

Post by Odemia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:55 pm

rsilk wrote:username is the same as on here, in any case
Same for me.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Adam Florizone wrote:If anyone else has any more suggestions or ideas, I will help out. :)
Why don't we just disable account creation on the wiki temporarily until we have a spam solution in place? Then if someone needs an account they can have an admin create it for them?

Bergo

Post by Bergo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Kaldonis wrote:
Adam Florizone wrote:If anyone else has any more suggestions or ideas, I will help out. :)
Why don't we just disable account creation on the wiki temporarily until we have a spam solution in place? Then if someone needs an account they can have an admin create it for them?
seconded.

Adam Florizone
Site Admin

Post by Adam Florizone » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:27 am

reCAPTCHA is now on the wiki.
If anyone needs any help with any of the sites (wiki, membership, forms, etc...) you can contact me on the support forum or at adam(at)florizone.com .

rsilk

Post by rsilk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks Adam. They're still getting through, but it seems to have slowed somewhat at least.

Adam Florizone
Site Admin

Post by Adam Florizone » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:57 pm

I added the spam list extension. The spam list is located here http://wiki.sktechworks.ca/index.php?ti ... _blacklist . The page is protected.

JamesCooper

Post by JamesCooper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Do you need more people to help with spam control? I'd be willing to help out. Same username on the wiki as on the forums.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Bump. Still really bad.