Database rollback?

Any issues with the website
FingerTech

Re: Database rollback?

Post by FingerTech » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:43 am

There should have been an announcement before it was started at all. I hope whoever did the switch is going to migrate over the messages too.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm currently able to switch freely between the two. On uofs wifi I get the new one, on 3G (telus) I get the old one.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I made a post on the other forum warning people about possible message loss etc.

Bergo

Post by Bergo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Woever is able to should really remove the "old" site and lower the TTL for the DNS...

Adam Florizone
Site Admin

Post by Adam Florizone » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:46 pm

The old HTTP server has been disabled now. The TTL was set to 1800 a week ago, and the debugs of the DNS show that it is. Everything should be up and running soon. You can also try clearing your DNS cache and tell us if that helps. Here are some instructions http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-flush-dns.html

Also if anyone is looking for any missing info, I can do a merge of the old servers database.

Some things that should help in the future:
-We need to set up guidelines for server maintenance in the future. Such as announcements.
-It would also help to have a place people could submit tickets or bug reports and also since we are trying to program in the membership systems.
-It would also help to have testers and feedback for new features in development
If anyone needs any help with any of the sites (wiki, membership, forms, etc...) you can contact me on the support forum or at adam(at)florizone.com .

Odemia

Post by Odemia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Adam Florizone wrote:Some things that should help in the future:
-We need to set up guidelines for server maintenance in the future. Such as announcements.
-It would also help to have a place people could submit tickets or bug reports and also since we are trying to program in the membership systems.
-It would also help to have testers and feedback for new features in development
Those sound like good suggestions.

-Do we have a development server/subdomain?
-Ticketing is a good idea especially for developing features. But not as useful for saying the site is down etc.
-At the next meeting we should exchange some out of band details (email addresses, irc, identica, telephone numbers etc.) so that when there are server issues we have a way to communicate, I really don't think facebook should be the backup way to communicate. That reminds me, is there an irc channel? Someone said there was but I can't find where it is. We should put it on freenode or somewhere else off the server.
-I volunteer to test. I imagine with this crowd testers are also likely to offer suggestions on how to solve the problems too. Don't hesitate to share code.

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am

Working on an IRC with a web client right now

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:51 am

If you go to http://www.sktechworks.ca you'll see a 'chat room' button at the top

Odemia

Post by Odemia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Sweet, will add it to irssi. Yeah I saw a thing for freenodes webchat and was about to suggest it.