Introduce Yourself

Discussions on anything related to the evolving idea of Saskatoon's first "makerspace". What is a makerspace to you? What should it be called? What's the charter?
devvyn
Site Admin

Introduce Yourself

Post by devvyn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:20 am

From what I can see, those of you I haven't met personally are friends of people I know. I think there will be a lot of familiar face when we have our first meet. In the meantime, why don't we all introduce ourselves?

Stevenger

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Stevenger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 am

First!

Couldn't resist.

Anyway. Steve Zerr. Thus for I know Devvyn and Paul from within the meat space. I hope we can really make something out of this so we can all benefit not only from being around people who want to tinker and create, but also so we've all got access to the means to do so.

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34 am

First!

EDIT: Oh shit

I'm Paul. I know probably about 50% of the people who have been conversing on the facebook page and everyone who is registered here, except for our gracious host Adam, but I expect that that is something which will change soon!

I was always disappointed at the lack of resources available to me after I decided University wasnt for me, so I guess this is just a manifestation of years of nerding in a dark basement

lukano

Post by lukano » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 am

I'm just a dude who knows a dude, who knows some of you dudes (I assume). I saw two former colleagues / facebook buddies get added ; read up on the idea ; loved it and asked to be included. I then spread the word to a handful like-minded other friends / colleagues to the facebook group.

My name is Keith, I'm one of the fractional percentage of people interested in this kind of stuff without post-secondary education (according the the various graphs and pie-charts anyways), and spend a good chunk of my little free time with my family or at work where I am the Director for the Call/Support Center for a local software development company.

I also have a penchant for console modding, homebrew software for said consoles, and am apparently a die-hard IRC fanatic compared to a lot of people in this group :)
Last edited by lukano on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsilk

Post by rsilk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Hey all,

My name's Ryan, and I know a bunch of folk from the FB group, either personally or as friends of friends. I'm a software developer by day, and a tinkerer by night. I'm pumped that something like this is finally getting off the ground. I've been wanting to start one of these up for years, but I've never been able to get enough traction and/or time to get the ball rolling.

wheatie

Post by wheatie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Alex Marz

Nice to meet you all. I'm a long time geek currently working for HP Enterprise Services as a AIX/RHEL midrange systems admin. Currently living in Regina

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Welcome, wheatie! How did you find out about us?

wheatie

Post by wheatie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 pm

DigitalOSH wrote:Welcome, wheatie! How did you find out about us?
An old co-worker of mine from SaskTel pointed me to this group. Pleasure to meet you all. =)

Malcs

Post by Malcs » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Greetings, I'm Malcolm. I found out about this group by chance through Paul's Facebook post. I work as a Media Equipment Technician at the UofS. I have a background in electronics and worked in access control, nurse call, CCTV, security, sound reinforcement systems installations and integration.

Cheers,

Tetragrammatron

Post by Tetragrammatron » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm Brett (also once legally known as Captain Hook Pope-Mobile McLain).

I work for Vecima Networks as a software developer. Over the last year I've done a few little electronics projects, which all began with an article on hackaday about how to start your car from your cell phone around a year ago. After triumphing over my crappy car starter, I decided I wanted to begin this as a hobby. I didn't find time for much learning until I was asked to build a circuit for a friend, which forced me to learn how in the first place! I'm just now getting into PIC programming, learning circuitry, etc., so I'm still rather new!

I'm excited for this group as I have found that I don't know too many people who lots of experience at this type of thing...I hope to learn from others and also share any knowledge that I have picked up along the way.