Introduce Yourself

Discussions on anything related to the evolving idea of Saskatoon's first "makerspace". What is a makerspace to you? What should it be called? What's the charter?
Bergo

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Bergo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am

Hi Erikk,

Welcome to Techworks! I'll see you down there if you make it tonight, also feel free to drop into #techworks on irc.freenode.com, we usually arrange to do food and drinks before the meeting. I'll have my quad copter down there tonight, and we'll for sure give you a hand getting yours in the air.

dezguy

Post by dezguy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Hey everybody, my name is Mike Klein (@dezguy on Twitter). I heard about Sask TechWorks from an old colleague Jeremy Rans.

In my day job I run Meshy Communications and at night I would describe myself as a hobby electronics tinkerer and fly fisher.

I got involved in electronics a few years ago when I embarked on a journey to build a home made sonar (fish finder). Geesh, I didn't realize how difficult it would be...after reading probably 20 books on the subject I know understand the huge problem it is. But, I'm still committed to making it happen.

Finding time for hobbies is always an issue, but I hope to get involved a bit more this winter.

Cheers,
Mike

JamesCooper

Post by JamesCooper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Mike,

Pleased to meet you. I know what you mean about finding time for hobbies. Whenever you have the time, just give us a shout and we'll arrange to meet you at the space and show you around. You can reach us on IRC (#sktechworks on freenode.net), Twitter (@sktechworks), Facebook, or by email at thespace@sktechworks.ca.

Cheers,
James Cooper (RevEng on IRC)

Bun-Bun

Post by Bun-Bun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Hello everyone,

Name is Andrew Wright (AKA Bun-Bun). Referred here back in May from Bergo, just finally getting around to coming and checking things out.

During the day I am a CAD Technologist/IT Manager at ACE Manufacturing. The rest of the time you never know what I may be doing as my hobbies vary greatly. Short list would be Cars, Car Audio, Computers, Electronics (consumer and hands on soldering stuff), Guitars, R/C Trucks, Video Games, Single track mountain biking.

Lately I re picked up my biking hobby and have been commuting to work and biking everywhere. Also currently managing an extensive WCGrid farm that recently pegged me 16th in the world for daily output. This morning I also just placed an order for a Raspi as my linux tinkering itch has increased recently lol. Also just bought my first house this year which has taken up most of my spare time (hence only just now getting around to checking this place out lol).

So that's me in a nutshell (I think).

Looking forward to geeky discussion.
~Andrew

EDIT:

Also logged into the IRC channel on my linux box so I can check in from all my devices :)

Bergo

Post by Bergo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 am

Glad to see you here Bun-Bun. I'm sure you'll enjoy Techworks.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Welcome Andrew #2. I believe we went to high school together (my name is Jeremy Rans), and I also remember you from S-LAN. You planning on coming out to our meeting tonight @ 7pm?

Bun-Bun

Post by Bun-Bun » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Yes Jeremy we did go to highschool together and this is the one and only Bun-Bun from S-Lan.

I would love to come to the meeting tonight but I wont get off work till 7 and have to run a couple errands (shipping video cards and such).

When is the next meeting?

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm

They're the second Tuesday of every month at 7, but don't feel like you have to wait for a meeting to come down. We also have informal "hack nights" every Tuesday around the same time. There are also people there sporadically throughout the week, your best bet is to ask on IRC.

rylangrayston

Post by rylangrayston » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Hey everyone Rylan Grayston here

I am a supper creative and inventive person, great ideas keep me up all night long.

Here are some of my skills

3d animation and modleing - Blender
Python
graphic design
web design
electronics
machining - I used to own a lathe
welding

Im really looking forward to being a part of TechWorks , Ive read thru most of the forms and it seems like a community that I have been missing for a long time.
I really like keeping my work open source and am very intrested in the crowd funding modle.

I ve done alot of things for a living ... bult kilns, heli sizemic, directional drilling, frameing, bin building.
Currently I own a media company, and in the last year ive started working as an inventor for hire.
So far Ive built a smart stud factory for Eric Penner and a Raidio Whistle for Dave Boe.

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Welcome Rylan!
Come down tomorrow around 7, there should be a few of us there