Introduce Yourself

Discussions on anything related to the evolving idea of Saskatoon's first "makerspace". What is a makerspace to you? What should it be called? What's the charter?
Bonz

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Bonz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 am

hi

My name is Bill and i found you guys while looking for some kind of community in Regina. so now that i know there is none i'd really like to use you guys as a model for how to do it and start one for us

I am a long time supporter of the tech community as well as an R-Dot Alumni

hope to learn from you guys and visit your space soon

Bergo

Post by Bergo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:32 am

Hi Bill,

thanks for signing up, and best of luck starting a local hackerspace! We've had a lot of fun so far at techworks, and are planning to have an open house at the space sometime soon. I'm sure details will be posted online, and it would likly be a great time to stop in, but feel free to do so naytime you are in the Saskatoon area. The IRC channel is a great way to check and see if anyone is at the space.

Bonz

Post by Bonz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm

do you guys have any official hours of operation?

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Bonz wrote:do you guys have any official hours of operation?
The space is open 24/7 to members but we don't have official hours where somebody is guaranteed to be there. Your best bet at any given time is hopping on IRC and asking if anyone is at the space. Most evenings/weekends there will be someone there.

Bonz

Post by Bonz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:14 pm

Kaldonis wrote:
The space is open 24/7 to members but we don't have official hours where somebody is guaranteed to be there. Your best bet at any given time is hopping on IRC and asking if anyone is at the space. Most evenings/weekends there will be someone there.
sounds good me and my Buddie will prolly come down this weekend and check it out. thanks allot

GermTheGeek

Post by GermTheGeek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:04 am

Names Jeremy Bernhardt but most call me Germ. General Hacker/Tinkerer with an interest in all things embedded.

Going to the U of S in the next few days to start working on my Computer Engineering degree, hope to frequent the space as much as I can. (You cannot fathom how elated I was when I saw other Saskatchewanites taking initiative and starting a space.)

Suffice it to say, I want to see this Hackerspace be the best it can be. :D

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:11 am

Another Jeremy? Damn, that makes 3 of us.

:) Welcome aboard.

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Welcome Germ! Glad to have you. Pop into the IRC and say hi!

Jay3ple_

Post by Jay3ple_ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Name's Jay. 2nd year CS at the university, just a bored guy who's looking for things to get busy with.. I'mma attend tomorrow's meeting and see if the space and the people would be worth my 50 bucks.

Forum name's a bit wobbly. I registered as Jay on IRC, but it was affiliated to some other name. IRC placed underscores once, twice, until the handle Jay with three underscores have been found not being registered to someone. So there.

Jay3ple_ is mostly into the software kind of things, willing to learn a new language to program something. He's endlessly fascinated by mechanics (ooh, what does this gear do?) but don't have enough broken machines to pry open. The disadvantages of being careful around technology.

EDIT: Ha, talk about thread necromancy. Poster above me replied a year ago.
Only those that risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.

rsilk

Post by rsilk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Nope, replied end of august. Joined over a year ago :D