3d Printer Decision

Any completed polls or threads that lead to a decision will be placed here. All threads will be locked and uneditable

Which 3d printer should Saskatoon Techworks purchase?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Solidoodle 3
86%
MendelMax 2 Beta
No votes
Cubify Cube 3D
No votes
LulzBot AO-101
No votes
Ultimaker
No votes
Makerbot Replicator 2
No votes
B9 Creator
No votes
Makerbot Replicator 2X (dual extrusion)
7%
Too lazy to do the research or don't care (a vote for whatever the majority wants)
7%

Total votes: 14

Kaldonis

3d Printer Decision

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 pm

The other thread has quieted down so I'm going to take that as meaning people are done making suggestions. For a summary of specs on the 3d printers we are considering, visit this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=457

I'll leave the voting open until we have a clear winner. No specific deadline, so don't feel rushed into making a decision. Do your research and decide what you think is best for the group (or be selfish and choose what you think is best for you :twisted:). I'll also allow re-voting which means you're able to change your vote if you desire.

Below are some numbers to give you an idea of our current financial situation which may help you make your decision. Obviously the more expensive the printer the longer it will take to purchase. We haven't yet decided how much Techworks will be able to chip in.
- $922 pledged specifically towards a 3d printer
- about $2000 in the bank
- net monthly income is about $60

If you're a FULL member and the poll doesn't work for you, please post here letting me know and I'll try to figure it out.

Icars

Re: 3d Printer Decision

Post by Icars » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Can we get links to each of them in this thread please?

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Icars wrote:Can we get links to each of them in this thread please?
The poll options now link to their websites. The thread linked to in the first post provides a brief overview of each printer as well.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Engadget put together a pretty comprehensive 3d printer guide: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/29/3d-printer-guide/

I was hoping it would include some reviews or opinions on each model, but it's really just a regurgitation of their specs. Oh well.

FingerTech

Post by FingerTech » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't have time to do in-depth comparisons of each 3D printer (and that's probably why other people haven't voted yet too) but basing a decision on the cost and the user-base, I am voting for the Solidoodle.

It may take a very long time for donations to reach the level of a different printer, but this one we can get right away.
There seems to be lots of community support available, and honestly, getting something that prints just a teensy bit smaller isn't as big an issue as people make it out to be.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm

FingerTech wrote:There seems to be lots of community support available, and honestly, getting something that prints just a teensy bit smaller isn't as big an issue as people make it out to be.
Worth pointing out is that the Solidoodle 3 prints bigger than either of the Makerbot Replicator 2 options. Also, Solidoodle was founded by the former COO of MakerBot. Lastly, here's a review of the Solidoodle 3 by Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/15/soli ... 3-hands-on. :P

Bun-Bun

Post by Bun-Bun » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 am

I voted solidoodle.

Some nicer looking options up there but given the price and the fact the solidoodle is attainable in the near/immediate future it gets my vote.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 am

Poll is now closed. We voted last night to buy the Solidoodle. We also ordered 3 spools of filament - white, black & glow in the dark green. We will be setting up a system for how to pay for prints but it won't be much higher than the cost of filament. Off the top of my head, it will be around $1/oz.