New Computer!

Anything else. From the absurd to the philosophical. No flaming!
ADDandy

New Computer!

Post by ADDandy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Here is what im thinking so far:

Im going to be building a new gaming machine after i graduate. here is what im thinking:
CPU: i7 2600k
Mobo Asus P8P67 Pro
OS Drives: 2x RealSSD C300 128gb
Storage Drives: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Memory: G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 CL7
Mouse:R.A.T 9
Keyboard:G510

Still looking for a GPU (SLI, crossfire? GTX580 or ATI 6980?)
a case ( i like antec p183, but i already have one of those)
and for cooling im thinking a corsair H70

Tetragrammatron

Re: New Computer!

Post by Tetragrammatron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Sorry for my slow response! I didn't notice this thread until now.

From what I've read, there is room for overclocking with the 2600K, but there are some hard limits in place due to the design of the chip. I myself went with an i7 920 a year ago and I used to run it consistently clocked at 4 GHz (up from its stock 2.6 GHz) with a simple air cooler. However during the summer my office always became unbearably hot (combination of two 27 inch monitors and the air cooling) so I lowered the clock down to 3.6 GHz (chip will last longer that way anyway).

You should be able to overclock over 4 GHz with the 2600k with simple air cooling, but you won't see the insane numbers that you can get from rev1 i7 chips.

As to graphics cards, I've been an ATi guy for the last few years, largely because ATi beat nVidia to Directx 11 cards. They're quality cards and I think their price point is excellent. I would suggest going with a single good card rather than two mediocre ones though. They'll never scale as well as you'd hope.

I'm not up to date on RealSSD's, but I would suggest you look up benchmarks before buying ANY SSD. Their performance varies WILDLY, and certain SSD makers have been able to leverage their software for some huuuge speed gains. Intel's X-25's were a great example of that (a firmware update increased their performance dramatically). Price is not an indication of performance at all in the SSD market from what I've seen. Also on that note, avoid 10k rpm drives...SSD's will get you better performance for what you're looking for.

G510 served me well, never tried your mouse though.