Search found 17 matches

by srw
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:37 pm
Forum: General
Topic: Ginger Ale/Ginger Beer
Replies: 0
Views: 4361

Ginger Ale/Ginger Beer

Mixed up the following today. Plan to ferment it with ale yeast.

18 tbsp ginger juice. (Squeezed from grated ginger)
24 tbsp lemon juice. (squeezed from five largish lemons)
6 tsp blackstrap molasses
6 cups sugar
water to make up 12 quarts.

Results to follow.
by srw
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:27 pm
Forum: General
Topic: OpenCola
Replies: 4
Views: 4554

Re: OpenCola

This is the recipe we used at the open house in November 2016. Actually, we mixed up 3 times the recipe of 7x and used the rest to make cola soap. OpenCola Mk III Mix up some 7x: 1.75ml Orange Oil 1.375ml Lime oil 0.625ml Cassia Oil 0.5ml Lemon Oil 0.5ml Nutmeg Oil 0.125ml Coriander Oil 0.125ml nero...
by srw
Wed May 06, 2015 12:34 pm
Forum: General
Topic: OpenCola
Replies: 4
Views: 4554

Re: OpenCola

Also, a few practical notes: The ratio of sugar to water is pretty high. In other words, it takes quite a bit of agitation for that much tap-cool water to dissolve that much sugar. It might be wise to start with warm (or even some hot) water to help the sugar dissolve more easily. The anhydrous caff...
by srw
Wed May 06, 2015 12:12 pm
Forum: General
Topic: OpenCola
Replies: 4
Views: 4554

Re: OpenCola

In order to cut down the essential oils in my remaining batch of syrup, I mixed up another batch of syrup minus the flavor formula. 2.36kg sugar 2.28l water 30ml caramel color 25g citric acid (I bumped this up a bit, and changed the measurement to weight) 3.5g caffeine With these two batches combine...
by srw
Wed May 06, 2015 12:08 pm
Forum: General
Topic: OpenCola
Replies: 4
Views: 4554

OpenCola

So, yesterday I revived a project that I have been thinking about for years, and started collecting ingredients for last summer. Last summer I bought the ingredients necessary to make OpenCola based on the recipe floating around. The process involved mixing a bunch of essential oils with a bit of wa...
by srw
Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:42 am
Forum: Buy/Sell/Trade
Topic: Small Prototyping Shop Shutting Down
Replies: 0
Views: 4096

Small Prototyping Shop Shutting Down

I've been contacted by a guy who asked me to post this For Sale here. It looks like some fun stuff that some of us might be interested in. You can find his contact info in the Kijiji ads. His message follows: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...
by srw
Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:28 pm
Forum: Electronics
Topic: Plated Through Hole PCBs
Replies: 7
Views: 6522

Re: Plated Through Hole PCBs

Electroplating notes: First of all, I think I miscalculated my dilution of sulfuric acid. The solution I made is probably almost twice as strong as it should be. That said, I made some attempts at plating a small board today. The board was 1.5" x 6" double sided. That's about 18 sq in or 0.125 sq ft...
by srw
Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm
Forum: Electronics
Topic: Plated Through Hole PCBs
Replies: 7
Views: 6522

Re: Plated Through Hole PCBs

So, after nearly giving up on the copper sulfate, I discovered "Root Away" available at Home Depot for $13/2lb. It appears to be 99% Copper(II) Sulfate - pentahydrate.

Confirmed: The MSDS for this product states that it is 99% Copper(ii) sulfate pentahydrate.
by srw
Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Forum: Electronics
Topic: Plated Through Hole PCBs
Replies: 7
Views: 6522

Re: Plated Through Hole PCBs

Oh, and I got some sulfuric acid. (90%+) Not sure what the other 10% is in this "drain opener" but it's not clear like it's supposed to be. Also got some 31% Hydrochloric. We could start experimenting with electroplating any time.
by srw
Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:30 pm
Forum: Electronics
Topic: Plated Through Hole PCBs
Replies: 7
Views: 6522

Re: Plated Through Hole PCBs

So, bluestone (Copper(II) Sulfate - Pentahydrate) isn't as easy to buy as it used to be. I can get a 50lb bag from Early's for about $150, or buy reagent grade from a chemical supply for $11.50/500g. I have 250g. (The price on the bag says it was $2.50/lb) This is enough to make a batch of the flash...