USB over Wireless?

Odemia

USB over Wireless?

Post by Odemia » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Anyone have experience setting up a USB connection over any wireless link?

I am starting to try and figure out how I am going to play around with my Neato XV 11 vacuum. I want a wireless link to send commands to it while it is moving around the apartment, so WUSB and other <10m technologies are out. I am thinking wifi or zigbee pro, but then how to connect those to the XV 11? The XV 11 has a serial and USB port. But based on my research the LIDAR is also connected to the serial port so the uController can either talk to what you attach the serial port or lidar, not both. The solution seems to be attaching to the USB port so that you can properly use the full control API implemented on the uC.

My first impulse was to get a zigbee/wifi shield for an arduino, then I thought there must be a simpler/cheaper solution, ie a single board that can connect a USB device (not host) to wireless (preferably wifi as I already have wifi coverage for the condo). The closest I have found are these USB xbee adapter boards which really aren't any cheaper than an Arduino. I expect wifi radios don't like not having a host to tell them what channel to use and what SSID to connect to.

Anyone have any thoughts or useful information? Is the USB-Xbee + Xbee Pro my best option?