MultiCopter(s)

Discussions on anything related to the evolving idea of Saskatoon's first "makerspace". What is a makerspace to you? What should it be called? What's the charter?
Icars

Re: MultiCopter(s)

Post by Icars » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Batteries shipped yesterday. They should be here soon. Main order has cleared customs... just waiting for canada post to get around to delivering it.

I'll work on the prices soon. It looks like I paid 2.5% for the currency conversion. None of the parts have had a GST levey on them yet but the big piece is yet to come. I got a deal on the batteries, Saved us shipping on them...

Prices are coming in about where I said they would.

I 'll have invoices for all after the weekend and the last of the pieces are in.

JamesCooper

Post by JamesCooper » Wed May 23, 2012 8:07 am

Instructions for the parts:

JamesCooper

Post by JamesCooper » Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 am

Looking around at flight simulators and options for connecting to the transmitter to the computer, it seems the easiest way is a USB dongle that supports several popular flight simulators. I'm ordering one from eBay this weekend for $10. Anybody else want me to order them one? They are coming from Hong Kong, so expect 3-4 weeks for them to arrive. I'm putting in my order Sunday, so please let me know.

epoch19

Post by epoch19 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:31 pm

That sounds like a good idea James. I would like to be able to practice so I don't have to take a lot of down time while I repair.
Just curious if you have tried just using an audio-in port on your computer with software?
link with instructions:http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/fo ... p?TID=1428
The post is a little old and I have not tested because I don't have my transmitter right now.

Icars

Post by Icars » Sun May 27, 2012 11:37 pm

Batteries are in. I use my transmitters with a driver that turns the ppm signal read in on the mic channel into a joystick... but the dongle works well too. My turnigy programming card works with these esc's so if you want to change settings on them, it's alot easier than counting the beep and moving the transmitter sticks at the right time.

Icars

Post by Icars » Sun May 27, 2012 11:51 pm

HOW to ARM your controller board

These controller boards are HK builds of the KK 5.5 board.

To set the throttle and arm the board:

* rotate yaw pot all the way clockwise (remember how far it was)
* turn on your transmitter with the throttle at max
* power up the system
* wait for 2 beeps and move the throttle to 0, there will be two more beeps and hopefully some music
* if you get music, unplug system and reset yaw pot, otherwise try again.
* power up the system again
* you should get two beeps and then music from all escs
* the led on the control board will be off and the throttle will not work
* to arm the board move the throttle stick to the left for 5 seconds the light should come on.
* if it doesn't work, you might have the wrong channel connected as the rudder. try the other stick to the lower left corner. if this works fix your wiring.
* once the light is armed your motors should respond to the throttle.

JamesCooper

Post by JamesCooper » Mon May 28, 2012 10:43 am

epoch19 wrote:That sounds like a good idea James. I would like to be able to practice so I don't have to take a lot of down time while I repair.
Just curious if you have tried just using an audio-in port on your computer with software?
link with instructions:http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/fo ... p?TID=1428
The post is a little old and I have not tested because I don't have my transmitter right now.
I did try this out, but unfortunately it doesn't work with several of the better simulators (e.g. Phoenix RC). They use their own proprietary dongle that does the same thing, but they refuse to work with anything else. There are "emulators" out there to make it work with audio-in, but I didn't have any success with that. These emulator dongles report themselves as being the real dongles (with a switch on them to change what brand they are) and that has been reported to work well.

I'll order one for you too, John. If anybody else is interested, I can give you a link to an eBay store with them.

Expect shipping to be 3-4 weeks.

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Mon May 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Icars wrote:HOW to ARM your controller board

These controller boards are HK builds of the KK 5.5 board.

To set the throttle and arm the board:

* rotate yaw pot all the way clockwise (remember how far it was)
* turn on your transmitter with the throttle at max
* power up the system
* wait for 2 beeps and move the throttle to 0, there will be two more beeps and hopefully some music
* if you get music, unplug system and reset yaw pot, otherwise try again.
* power up the system again
* you should get two beeps and then music from all escs
* the led on the control board will be off and the throttle will not work
* to arm the board move the throttle stick to the left for 5 seconds the light should come on.
* if it doesn't work, you might have the wrong channel connected as the rudder. try the other stick to the lower left corner. if this works fix your wiring.
* once the light is armed your motors should respond to the throttle.

I can't get this to work AT ALL.
When I rotate my yaw pot all the way clockwise and I connect the battery, you get the music and the right and back motors do that repeated beeping. when I move the pot all the way counterclockwise you get the music, 2 beeps, then the music again but slower. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here...

JamesCooper

Post by JamesCooper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:05 pm

It's probably too late to be relevant now, but for those having trouble getting the arming instructions to work, you want to turn the yaw pot all the way counter-clockwise in the first step. At all other times, you'll want yaw, roll, and pitch pots set to approximately the middle of their range. Also, your ESCs probably won't play music: just listen for 2 beeps, a pause, then a long beep. That means the ESCs initialized properly.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:34 pm

And I'll put this here just for mine and others' reference: channels 1-4 should be hooked up in order of AIL, ELE, THR, RUD