Princess Auto Sponsorship

Discussions on anything related to the evolving idea of Saskatoon's first "makerspace". What is a makerspace to you? What should it be called? What's the charter?
Kaldonis

Princess Auto Sponsorship

Post by Kaldonis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Copied from the canadian hackerspaces group,
--------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone,

I just spent a week in Winnipeg for work, but while I was there I had a chance to meet up with some of the great folks at SkullSpace and AssentWorks.

We have been quietly working on a project to bring Princess Auto on board as a national Hackerspace sponsor. Michael Legary (AssentWorks) was able to arrange a meeting with a few of their directors and we showed them around AssentWorks. They were impressed by what they saw and we certainly have their attention.

They have expressed interest in sponsoring all Canadian Hackerspaces which is extremely exciting. What that sponsorship will ultimately become has not yet been decided, but the door is open and if we play our cards right, we'll be in a respectable position to capitalize on their offer.

The ball is currently in our court to put together a proposal that we can submit to them and get their executive sign-off on.

This is where you all come in, we need to make a list of spaces interested in participating, build the proposal, get all participating spaces to approve the proposal and then submit it. It's not a small amount of work, but it's equally not insurmountable. We have a basic idea of where to start, but I'm sure that there are those among us smart enough to build on the plan. At this point, we floated the idea of getting a page of their booklet flyer dedicated to "Find a space near you" where we could list the participating spaces.

The beauty of this is that once we have the team together and a draft proposal, we can use the proposal as a template to approach other organizations for additional sponsorship.

What we think we need to make the project go is one or two dedicated people from each space who will particpate in building the proposal and acting as a liason to their home space. We really need dedicated volunteers for this, because it's going to be a lot of work. The payoff, though, could be huge and help all Canadian spaces grow.

I would be happy to discuss further with people in the board IRC channel (#CDN-Hackerspaces on freenode) If you'd rather discuss on the group here, just leave your comments and we'll do our best to get answers right away.

Regards,
kulps
--------------------------------------------------------

Anyone here interested in representing us? I have no time.

Odemia

Re: Princess Auto Sponsorship

Post by Odemia » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't really have a lot of time. But I would really like to see something like this take root. I'd be willing to be our rep.

JamesCooper

Post by JamesCooper » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:57 pm

I also don't know that I could dedicate a lot to this, but I'd be quite happy to help you out, Tim. I agree that we should do everything we can to help them with this.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Looks like this idea has fallen victim to scope creep and it's now also about creating a national charitable hackerspace association which could be used to funnel money to hackerspaces (which aren't officially charities). Paul has volunteed to take the lead on this and it sounds like Bergo will be helping too.