Voting Thread 1

Any completed polls or threads that lead to a decision will be placed here. All threads will be locked and uneditable

Pick a name 1

Poll ended at Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:06 am

Space306
7%
TechMill
13%
SkySpace
7%
Saskatoon TechWorks
47%
TechWorks
13%
Haskape
No votes
Electronic Union
No votes
Digital Accord
No votes
SelectStart
No votes
SaskHackSpace
13%

Total votes: 15

DigitalOSH

Voting Thread 1

Post by DigitalOSH » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:06 am

Unfortunately PHPBB only allows me to give you 10 options to vote on, so this has to be spread over 2 pages. This means everyone has a vote on each page. Please spend your vote wisely, and you have the option to change it until midnight at which point voting will end.

SaskCreativeStudio and SaskCreative were taken out for legal reasons (copyrights)

Unicorn Playground is taken out, but if people REALLY REALLY REALLY want it, that's democracy for you

EDIT: Digital Playground has been removed for legal reasons as well. Don't google it.

EDIT: Additional note: If the vote ends in a tie, we will be choosing the name randomly from the ones tied for 1st.

devvyn
Site Admin

Re: Voting Thread 1

Post by devvyn » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:05 pm

It might be wise to avoid implying this is only a Saskatoon thing. If we're rushing into committing to a name, might it be wise to reconsider votes for names that can't reflect future states of the (hopefully) evolving group. Just a thought.

FingerTech

Post by FingerTech » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 pm

But it IS a Saskatoon thing.

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

I personally don't see the point in having the city mentioned in the name, but i don't think it's harmful. If the group evolves to something bigger, other chapters could have other names (Regina TechMill for instance), but on the other hand why even have it part of the name... Debate!

lukano

Post by lukano » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm on the same page of not associating the group name, with the city - for a variety of reasons. I've invited non-s'toon residents to the group, as I know they travel enough that they're worth a membership in a location specific group such as this ;

And because I don't feel that people should be thinking of the Hackspace in a 'Saskatoon' specific frame of mind. This should be for like-minded individuals who just-so-happen-to-be capable of presenting themselves physically in YXE (no matter the method). Treat this in the same way you'd treat your various filesite / darknet / social networks online, and you'll achieve the same unbiased results (imho).

FingerTech

Post by FingerTech » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Hackerspaces are already an international thing. It's annoying to hear the name of one and not know if it's in the province (okay likely not), or even in Canada. If the name gets mentioned online and a Sask resident sees it, they might just pass over it if they don't instantly know it is accessible to them.

It's also not an exclusivity thing. Nothing says people from other towns can't be a part of the group. It's simply where the group is located.