Potential fundraising idea!

Any completed polls or threads that lead to a decision will be placed here. All threads will be locked and uneditable

Are you willing to volunteer, if yes, how much should we charge?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 pm

No, this is a bad idea / I don't feel like contributing time
No votes
Yes, I'd like to volunteer, I think we should charge minimum wage
No votes
Yes, I'd like to volunteer, I think we should charge$20 or less /hr
No votes
Yes, I'd like to volunteer, I think we should charge $25/hr
71%
Yes, I'd like to volunteer, I think we should charge $35/hr
No votes
Yes, I'd like to volunteer, I think we should charge an amount specified in a comment below
29%

Total votes: 7

Bergo

Potential fundraising idea!

Post by Bergo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey Guys,

I met with Curtis Olson (owner of the 220) today to discuss some things about the building. We discussed the potential of us (tech works) doing some work for the building, and in return getting a credit on our lease. I think this is a really cool idea and we could make a fun evening/weekend project out of it, and all go for beer and wings after or something. what needs to get done is the structured data wiring for the building, terminating CAT5E cables.

I'm willing to donate an afternoon or evening to get this done, and I'm hoping a few others could join me to raise some money for techworks, and help out the 220 at the same time.

The work would be billed as hourly, and the money would be in the form of a lease credit. Curtis would like to know if we're interested, and if so, how much we would charge per hour. I've created a poll to solicit feedback on what people think is a fair rate, and whether they would be interested. Please feel free to post comments!

The work is fairly straight forward, and if someone is unfamiliar how to use a punch down tool, and tone/test probe, I"m more than willing to demonstrate.

I'll leave the poll open for 3 days, as Curtis needs to make a call soon on who will be doing this and when, if it's us I need to quote for materials and start ordering.

Odemia

Re: Potential fundraising idea!

Post by Odemia » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 pm

I liked RevEng's idea of checking what a contractor might charge and what Curtis was expecting. Charging by the hour doesn't make much sense if we have ~8 people volunteering but 4 of them end upstanding around waiting for cable to be pulled etc.

I definitely like the idea getting a little bonus towards the rent, hopefully we can reduce the amount we have to dig into the cash reserves before we get a few more members and get the cashflow into the positive.

Bergo

Post by Bergo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:48 pm

I should mention: all the cable is pulled, only need to terminate and test

DigitalOSH

Post by DigitalOSH » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 am

Hey Bergo, maybe mention this in the facebook?

Bergo

Post by Bergo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 am

Sure, can you post on front page?

Meepmoop

Post by Meepmoop » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:04 am

I think this is a great idea! Sadly I don't think I would be much help. I'd like to come along and learn if thats ok?
Lisa.

Kaldonis

Post by Kaldonis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 am

I should be in, depending on the time. I also can't vote, but I'd say no less than $25/hr.

SubterraneanZen

Post by SubterraneanZen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:22 am

I'd be willing to lend a hand.

ADDandy

Post by ADDandy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:22 pm

well i can't seem to vote, but i can defiantly help out on weekends. i vote ryan as the nerd wrangler/forman of this job. as for the charge, i guess that could be negotiated, i would prefer to see a X amount per year deduction so we can lower fees for the whole year instead of just lowering the first Y months.

rsilk

Post by rsilk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:30 pm

ADDandy wrote:well i can't seem to vote, but i can defiantly help out on weekends. i vote ryan as the nerd wrangler/forman of this job. as for the charge, i guess that could be negotiated, i would prefer to see a X amount per year deduction so we can lower fees for the whole year instead of just lowering the first Y months.
No way, Bergo's done waaay more of this stuff than I have :D

I'm in if I'm back in down by then.