I wanted to wait until I was finished before making this post. Sadly, there has been an unexplained delay with shipping my circuit boards. So, since my job is keeping this webpage moving with new projects, here it is.
I ordered some 2.3″ 7-Segment LEDs from Aliexpress for the purpose of making a countdown timer for the SCRC Kilobots arena. The plan was to have it ready for the big Kilobots XXXI event Sept 20th and 21st, 2015.
Since time was getting tight, I went ahead and designed a circuit board and sent it away for manufacturing. (Sent the files, that is.)
I did this in the wrong order, really, since I hadn’t even tested the circuit yet. Over the Sept long weekend, I spent a bit of time and built the circuit on a breadboard to test. Fortunately, it worked.
(Yes, one of the segments is out in that picture.)
Here it is in operation. (Sped WAY up so you don’t have to watch for a full three minutes.)
Rachel is rebuilding a bot formerly known as Roadrunner:
“it’s running and it is calibrated now to weld the body and put it on almost done so excited!”
Al has done some upgrades to the drive system of Kitty Shark. He might have overdone it:
Jeremy has done a very nice job on Psychomauler. He has used the CNC router, the CNC mill, and the laser cutter during the design and build of this one:
“Psychomauler mostly put together. Had to give up on the carbon fibre after the CNC screwed up and cut it the wrong size (missed steps, or something like that), so garolite will have to do. I should still be OK for weight, I’m at about 350g currently and just need to add my titanium wedge.”
Albert held a T-Shirt Making workshop and, this time, used his vinyl cutter to cut heat-transfer material. (We have used laser-cut stencils in past workshops.) The workshop was primarily attended by SCRC members making team t-shirts for the upcoming Kilobots XXXI in September.
“Workshop went great! If anyone wants to post pics of their team shirts, please do! (We’re always looking for more website content.) Thanks to Albert for putting it on!“
“If anyone’s curious, that’s about how much soap you get from ~a yogourt container of cheap canola oil + a bit of coconut oil. It still needs to finish curing for a few weeks. Despite the remaining lye content, I washed my hands with it this morning and it is quite lovely.
Awesome workshop last night! — with Minna Liang and Scott Walde.”